Progress is a Wonderful Thing

I haven’t blogged in a while, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been working hard on getting things done.

The most important thing we’ve done lately is get the playroom cleared out. Some things we donated and some things we threw away and some things are being sold on consignment. But it’s a HUGE improvement. We now have a nice desk (that we got for $20! Yes!) that will work well with the shelving we plan to purchase. Now if we just had a home for that stereo equipment that’s been gathering dust for (mumbles a time frame) ever… This whole purging thing makes me happy. And more serene.

So now, we go back to the girls’ room.

I found paint colors for the girls’ room: bunk beds will be Bougainvillea and the walls Artesian Well–both colors from Martha Stewart Living.

Tomorrow we’re getting a quote on replacing the carpet with hardwood in the girls’ room and I’m getting antsy to start moving forward again, starting with painting. Oh, wait…starting with selling the twin beds that are in there now, THEN painting. Right. First things first.

I finished another kick-knack for the girls’ room with with a friend.

This was fun. My friend Kathy found this on Pinterest, thought I’d like the tree (to go with our birds on branches theme), and asked if I’d like to have a “craft night.” (Silly girl! Of course I would!) We made a few modifications, like painting the ground instead of using burlap and not using a hand as a template for the tree trunk. And Kathy donated the striped fabric from her curtains (she was getting rid of them anyway, so we up-cycled them!). Plus we had gourmet cupcakes for dinner. It was a fabulous time!

Next up: I attempted, and was semi-successful with making, an ottoman. Well, it’s more a big, fat square pillow than an ottoman, but at least now I know what I want, what to do, and what not to do: thicker fabric; affix zipper BEFORE sewing up; bean-bag filler and lots of it. I made it with some old fabric I’d used to cover some chair seats long ago, so I’m chalking it up as a learning experience. No harm, no foul. And the girls can plop on it without it raising my blood pressure.

Lastly, I started rolling up catalog pages to make this (the original link is gone) and decided about 20 spirally things in that there was NO WAY I was going to make enough to make that vase.

So, instead of a vase, I made this:

I cut out a frame from cardboard, wrapped it in newspaper, and hot-glued the roundels to the frame. Then I hot-glued the whole thing to an old frame that needed either love or to be thrown away. I decided to love it. I may do a tutorial on this if people are interested. It’s pretty easy, really, and it’s a great way to get rid of all those catalogs and magazines we are loathe to throw out. (Or at least I am…the thought of landfills makes my eye twitch).

So, there you have it. The latest round of “Karen’s On a Mission – Watch Out!”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: